Last week my Google exchange account (mail, calendars and contacts) stopped updating. I was getting the dreaded “Cannot Get Mail – The connection to the server failed” message and the last sync date was stuck at a time from days ago. My account worked when I added the gmail account with the “add gmail account” feature in the iPhone settings but not with the exchange. I had a co-worker add his Google exchange account to my phone and it worked. I began to think it was a problem with my Google account. I tried everything to get it working:
- Removing and Re-adding the exchange account
- Changing my Google password
- Resetting my account using https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha and https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
- Checking every Google forum and that contained any of the words I could think of to find a fix
Every time I saw a new post that guaranteed a fix, my hopes were raised then crushed when it failed to work for me. So I am writing this post to get YOUR hopes up with a fix that finally worked for my situation.
Right before I began experiencing the issues I made some updates to what I was syncing and one them was adding my Remember the Milk (RTM) calendar subscription t o my http://m.google.com/sync page. This was apparently the culprit. I didn’t use the public address the iPhone needed, I was using the main private feed with my username. Once I went into the sync page and disabled all the calendars except the main one, the account started syncing mail, contacts and calendars again. After reactivating the other calendars I noticed it was the RTM calendar that was causing the issue.
I ended up needing to subscribe to the RTM calendar via the iPhone directly in order for it finally work. So if you are experiencing issues with the Google Exchange account on your iPhone, try removing some calendar subscriptions and see if helps you.